To Be Nice
Everyone in life has some point in their lives when another person truly affects them. A lot of people are affected in negative ways, but if you are lucky you can have your eyes opened by someone doing something very kind for you. The nicest thing that has happened to me in a long time happened just a few short months ago. I had been going through a lot of things that were really bringing me down. I was extremely frustrated, nervous and just all around stressed out. People had been doing things that were starting to make me look at the world negatively, like I was wearing dark sunglasses to see it rather than my normal pink, happy glasses.
I work at Jack's Bakery in Brooklyn Park, and along the same time that all of these things were going wrong, my boss decided I was able to take cake orders. Now, taking cake orders doesn't seem like it would be a very difficult thing, but if you mess something up it could mean a very unhappy customer and a cake decorator staying late. Well, that's exactly what I did. I put an order in for a cake that was nothing like how it should have been- it wasn't even the right shape! So one Saturday the woman whose cake it was came to pick it up, and just looked at the cake with shock. She simply said, "This isn't the cake that I ordered. This isn't what I wanted," and I knew I had made a very large error.
Because I was stressed to the breaking point, I could do nothing but ask the cake decorator to make another cake before I started to cry. In order to hide myself from the customers, I went into the back of the bakery. The new clean up boy was there mopping our floors, and when I went back there he just looked at me with his mouth agape. Then he did something I never would have expected: he walked over to me and gave me a hug. All the people who I had worked with for a year and were in the front with me had just laughed when they saw I messed up my cake order. But he didn't, he just put down the mop and hugged me. This may not seem like a very important thing, and it probably isn't. It won't change the world, but it did change my world. Because someone who I didn't know was willing to be there for me and help me, I got some of my rosiness back. My life-glasses weren't dark anymore, they were going towards being pink.
So there it is- the nicest thing someone's done for me. He put my faith back in people; that there are very good people out there, and I'll forever be grateful that he did that for me.
I work at Jack's Bakery in Brooklyn Park, and along the same time that all of these things were going wrong, my boss decided I was able to take cake orders. Now, taking cake orders doesn't seem like it would be a very difficult thing, but if you mess something up it could mean a very unhappy customer and a cake decorator staying late. Well, that's exactly what I did. I put an order in for a cake that was nothing like how it should have been- it wasn't even the right shape! So one Saturday the woman whose cake it was came to pick it up, and just looked at the cake with shock. She simply said, "This isn't the cake that I ordered. This isn't what I wanted," and I knew I had made a very large error.
Because I was stressed to the breaking point, I could do nothing but ask the cake decorator to make another cake before I started to cry. In order to hide myself from the customers, I went into the back of the bakery. The new clean up boy was there mopping our floors, and when I went back there he just looked at me with his mouth agape. Then he did something I never would have expected: he walked over to me and gave me a hug. All the people who I had worked with for a year and were in the front with me had just laughed when they saw I messed up my cake order. But he didn't, he just put down the mop and hugged me. This may not seem like a very important thing, and it probably isn't. It won't change the world, but it did change my world. Because someone who I didn't know was willing to be there for me and help me, I got some of my rosiness back. My life-glasses weren't dark anymore, they were going towards being pink.
So there it is- the nicest thing someone's done for me. He put my faith back in people; that there are very good people out there, and I'll forever be grateful that he did that for me.
3 Comments:
Random acts of kindness are the most difficult. I can see why this means so much to you.
-Dana
I think that an act of kindness such as this is extremely compassionate. It is acts like these that draws the human spirit closer to others. It really opens you up.
It's amazing how such a simple thing can bring such joy to a person! Thanks for sharing that story, it reminded me how simple acts of kindness can really make a difference.
-Hilary Girl
Post a Comment
<< Home