Ashley

Hey, can you talk a little louder? I don't think my heart's broken enough. But someday we'll all be old and I'll be so damn beautiful.

Name:

This blog has followed me for a long time... from the first day of CIS not knowing what to write about, to when I felt the urge to go to church and the blogs that followed, to now while I sit in Michigan. Hopefully you can take something worthwhile from it and enjoy it.

Sunday, November 28, 2004

The Typical Sounds of Jack's Bakery

The familiar clang of the cash register continues as I head over to wash the coffee shop tables. As I bend down to pick up a forgotten cookie from the floor, I hear my co-worker Missy's monotone voice tell her customer their change. "$7.24, Sir. Tahnk you." Along with her voice the already tiresome Christmas music pumps through the speakers overhead. For what seems like the eleventh time in an hour, the Bing Crosby version of "White Christmas" is filling Jack's with it's melody. After wiping off all the tables I quickly go back behind the counter to help the next person in line. "Hello, Sir. Can I help you?" I ask a man who looks exactly as Santa would if he were to put on every-day clothing. "Yes, uh, I'd like to order a cake," he replies while his eyes dart around the store, making him look like he's searching for a mis-placed elf. "Okay, right over here," I smile and say as I try to catch his fleeting gaze. As I delve into the same-old cake order routine of day, size, type, frosting and decorational preferences I continue to listen around me for whatever other sounds the bakery may have for me to hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home