Baby Derek
I love little kids. Don't worry, not like Michael Jackson. I really do like to babysit, though. Little kids have a knack for smiling. When I babysat Derek, a 4-year old on Saturday night, I was really tired. I had worked from 5 am to 1 pm, went home and took a shower and drove straight to their house. It was really cold outside, and I had a years worth of homework to fit in on Sunday somehow. If I could have bailed out, I would have.
I parked in front of their house and before I even made it half-way up the drive I could see Derek's chubby little face on the window. His mouth was slowly disappearing because of the fog he was putting on the window, but his eyes were easy to see. I opened the door and as soon as I turned to hang my coat in their closet my knees buckled from the weight of Derek's body crashing into the back of them.
"Ashley Ashley Ashley!!!! My mommy's getting dressed! Did you know that? I have a tent in my lithing room!!!! Can I sleep in it? My daddy said I could- but he told me to ask you! It's cold outside! I want more snow- mommy said that now I can only make a baby snowman. I don't want a baby, though! I want a DADDY snowman! One that's as tall as the house!!!!" Derek screamed at me after I stood back up and picked him up.
It amazes me how much energy little kids can have. They run around all day long, making new creations, racing cars, learning to read, and their container of energy never dips below the half-way mark. When I first walked in the door my fuel gauge was somewhere below 1/4 of a tank, but steadily through the night it climbed back up.
We raced cars (I got the orange one, Derek the green), read stories(The Lion King), and played play-doh. After that we put on Toy Story and pretended to be the characters. I was Andy, Derek was Buzz and Woody. His job consisted of imitating the characters and making flying noises. My job was carrying him around the room while he did this so he could "really fly!"
Hours later when Derek finally pronounced that he was "Tired and going to bed," my energy was back at full. I got him settled underneath his Dinosaur covers and then went downstairs to get a headstart on my homework. Home Sweet Homework!!!!
I parked in front of their house and before I even made it half-way up the drive I could see Derek's chubby little face on the window. His mouth was slowly disappearing because of the fog he was putting on the window, but his eyes were easy to see. I opened the door and as soon as I turned to hang my coat in their closet my knees buckled from the weight of Derek's body crashing into the back of them.
"Ashley Ashley Ashley!!!! My mommy's getting dressed! Did you know that? I have a tent in my lithing room!!!! Can I sleep in it? My daddy said I could- but he told me to ask you! It's cold outside! I want more snow- mommy said that now I can only make a baby snowman. I don't want a baby, though! I want a DADDY snowman! One that's as tall as the house!!!!" Derek screamed at me after I stood back up and picked him up.
It amazes me how much energy little kids can have. They run around all day long, making new creations, racing cars, learning to read, and their container of energy never dips below the half-way mark. When I first walked in the door my fuel gauge was somewhere below 1/4 of a tank, but steadily through the night it climbed back up.
We raced cars (I got the orange one, Derek the green), read stories(The Lion King), and played play-doh. After that we put on Toy Story and pretended to be the characters. I was Andy, Derek was Buzz and Woody. His job consisted of imitating the characters and making flying noises. My job was carrying him around the room while he did this so he could "really fly!"
Hours later when Derek finally pronounced that he was "Tired and going to bed," my energy was back at full. I got him settled underneath his Dinosaur covers and then went downstairs to get a headstart on my homework. Home Sweet Homework!!!!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home