Ashley

Hey, can you talk a little louder? I don't think my heart's broken enough. But someday we'll all be old and I'll be so damn beautiful.

Name:

This blog has followed me for a long time... from the first day of CIS not knowing what to write about, to when I felt the urge to go to church and the blogs that followed, to now while I sit in Michigan. Hopefully you can take something worthwhile from it and enjoy it.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Sydney Opera

The Sydney Opera House is gorgeous. Nothing could compare to looking at the magnificent building as the sun slowly sets behind it. Everything around it is cast in a peaceful glow while the white “sails” take in every extra fragment of light and stand out as blindingly white.

The bench I sat on was cold to the touch, but the cup of green tea I held in my hands warmed me from the inside out. Around me I could hear the sound of my friends laughing about a stupid joke Mitch had told, but my attention was elsewhere. My gaze was locked on the massive structure that was the major landmark of Australia. My thoughts were centered on the feelings I was experiencing.

Nothing would ever be able to steal away the rush I had. My perspective on life changed in an instant, and looking up at the setting sun I knew what I wanted to do with my future. I had always known there was something bigger than the United States, something more universal. Now, however, I had found the thread that would connect me to the world- my reason for wanting to connect.

Something in the shape of the sails or the color of the sky showed me in a way nothing ever had before that in order to appreciate my own life, I would have to be involved in other lives. It confirmed to me I could do this for a living- I could travel to other countries, have once-in-a-lifetime experiences, all while helping my nation and others become better neighbors.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Hal
I so wish i could go to australia!
i so agree with " I had always known there was something bigger than the United States" because i feel the same way too!

Well have fun in romania this summer! It's another adventure abroad!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Australia was awesome! I remember climbing the bridge and seeing the operah house against the sunrise.. since it was the buttcrack of dawn n all.. incredibly beautiful!

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home