Strength
The strenght some people hold inside themselves astonishes me. Against all odds, they are able to survive everything thrown at them and come out better because of it. Last week I started a new babysitting job. There are three kids, aged 15, 13 and 8, but I truly only babysit the 8 year old boy, Andrew. If you were to spend time with this boy, you would be amazed by the things you would hear and feel. Andrew has been through more in his life than he deserves, and he is one of the smartest kids I have ever known. When he speaks, he is considerate, articulate, and incredibly personable. The most amazing thing about Andrew is what he's had to deal with in his life, though. At this moment in time, he is in remission from a long and difficult battle with brain cancer. It is amazing he is even still alive now, and there is a 75% chance of a recurrance. These things don't seem to affect Andrew, though. He runs around, complains about doing his math work, and tries to get out of swimming lessons by telling me someone might have peed in the pool, which would wreck havoc on his already small immune system. (That excuse didn't fly, but it did make me chuckle, because of how seriously he said it.) Though I may not always like waking up in the morning to go babysitting, I'm very grateful Andrews parents gave me the opportunity to meet such a special boy. I pray for him continuously, and I hope anyone reading this will do the same.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home